So, you're thinking about learning to code? Maybe you want to start a new career? Or want to launch a project? Or maybe you just think it looks fun?
Learning to code isn't easy. It requires grit, determination and time. But it can also be incredibly rewarding and potentially life-changing.
This is a good time to download a text editor. There's a few good ones out there - Sublime Text, VS Code, Atom. We recommend Microsoft's VS Code, which is built on top of Atom but has a few extra plugins and features.
- Optional - if you are particularly interested in building websites, this is a great time to take a couple of weeks to look into HTML and CSS. HTML describes the structure of websites, whilst CSS defines its appearance. We like these resources, but nothing matches building your own site! It doesn't need to be a work of art but try to make it look nice, challenge yourself to add a navigation bar and a couple of links which lead to other pages.
- Treehouse - Treehouse combines videos, quizzes and code challenges to provide a really great learning experience which is generally right up-to-date. These guys only offer 2 weeks free before you need to pay (but the investment might be worth it!) - otherwise, make the most of the two weeks and then move on to.
- Codewars - Ready for a challenge? Codewars helps you rapidly build your confidence in solving problems. You build your ability through challenges ('katas') for which you can earn points ('honor'). As in martial arts, you will begin on 8 Kyu and move through the ranks (1 Kyu being the highest!) Start with some simple 8 Kyu kata and try something harder as and when you feel ready.
- Even or Odd
- Remove Exclamation Marks
- Reversing Words
Lots to do..!
If you can pack a fair chunk of each of these suggestions into three months, you're doing an amazing job. By this time, you will:
- Know how to structure websites using HTML
- Be confident styling your pages CSS
- Have a good knowledge of some key programming concepts
- Be well on your way to achieving your coding goals!
Head of Sales & Marketing
We've educated 4 ex-apprentices who were laid off by Bright Future last year. They've all now got jobs (or a recent job offer) at 4 different companies from an award-winning agency, to a fintech scale-up, to a company heavily involved with the Internet of Things.
Northcoders largest ever cohort
It was a busy week last week as we were preparing for our fourth and largest ever cohort at Northcoders.