Full Time•Manchester or Remote
Skills Coach – Apprenticeships
Northcoders is an industry-leading and industry-led coding school and tech house. COVID has given us time to innovate, so with lots of exciting things in the pipeline we are looking for a Skills Coach to support our apprentices. Northcoders is a small, community-driven company and we approach our work with ambition, passion, energy and love. We think this is a great place to work!
We live and breathe a set of values to our community, clients, partners and our team:
- We put people first.
- We champion inclusion.
- We strive for excellence.
- We evolve and adapt.
About the team
Apprenticeships is a division of Northcoders with an exciting future, sitting right at the heart of our growth strategy. Our aim is that the Apprenticeships division will soon deliver our most important and most widely offered products.
About the job
This is a Skills Coach position. Since you’ll be supported by our Technical Trainers, you don’t yourself need to be an expert in software development.
- Support and motivate learners from their first day of learning onwards
- Promote excellence in learning and strive for excellent outcomes for all of our learners
- At present we deliver Level 4 Software Developer apprenticeships. Work in conjunction with our team of Technical Coaches, who will support the technical understanding of the learners
- Arrange and deliver Skills Coaching and Tripartite Reviews virtually, usually through Zoom
- Complete all required paperwork to comply with the standards of Ofsted and the ESFA
- Deliver workshops to help learners develop their behaviours
- Develop our behaviours curriculum
- Identify learners’ needs and put in place learning plans, set individual learning goals and targets for learners
- Review learners’ work. You won’t be expected to review their technical software development work in a technical context, but should review it in the context of how they are demonstrating their progress including Functional Skills
- Provide coaching for learners as they approach their EPA
- Provide constructive feedback and feedforward
- Offer information, advice and guidance to learners
- Teach Functional Skills in Maths and English
- Undertake relevant training around safeguarding, Prevent and Diversity and Inclusion for example and to maintain your CPD log
- Support the development of the Northcoders brand and the propagation of our values at all times both internally and externally
- Engage in other reasonable duties as required by your line manager
Training and potential progression
We’re proud to be a place that invests in its people, and if you succeed with us, we will help you grow as we do.
Essential skills and aptitudes
These are the skills and traits that you need to have to be considered for this role.
- We want to meet someone with prior experience working with apprentices
- We’re looking for a solid understanding of apprenticeships and the requirements of the ESFA and Ofsted
- You’re organised, and enjoy taking a methodical and logical approach to tasks
- We strive for excellence at Northcoders, so we want to meet someone passionate about supporting others to learn
- Northcoders teaches tech, so while we aren’t looking for someone with extensive technical experience, you should have some familiarity with the terminology used in software development. Our Technical Coaches will support learners alongside you!
- Creative flair? Initiative? You’ll have plenty! We’re a small business, so we want to meet a self-starter
- Do our values resonate with you? Great! In many ways, nothing’s more important to us.
Desirable skills and aptitudes
These traits and skills aren’t essential, but would be helpful in your role. We encourage you to apply if you don’t meet them. Remember, Northcoders is a place that supports the training of its people.
- Ideally you will have a recognised professional coaching or teaching qualification such as CAVA, TAQA or PTLLS
- Having worked with an e-portfolio like Bud will be an advantage
- We’d like to meet someone who is excited to learn a bit more about the tech world to help them support learners on a software development qualification
We are committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children, young people and Adults at Risk. The successful applicant must undertake an enhanced Disclosure and Barring Service check.
We offer shared parental leave as well as parental leave policies exceeding the statutory minimum, flexible working and health insurance. We believe that no matter who you are, where you’re from, who you love or who you worship, you should be welcomed. We stand with #BlackLivesMatter, affirm all gender identities and sexualities and support people living with disabilities and neurodiversities. When you become a Northcoder, you pledge to stand against discrimination.
We are an equal opportunities employer and we welcome all applicants regardless of background. We believe education should be enjoyed by everyone equally. We are committed to eliminate discrimination whether by reason of gender, marital status, age, sexual orientation, race, nationality, ethnic origin, colour, religion or ability and to encourage equal opportunities for all.
Salary: £20,000 – £30,000
Safeguarding: We are an education provider. You will have responsibility for, and contact with, children, young people and vulnerable adults
Hours: e.g. 37.5 hours per week, with benefit of half day off each week
Location: You can work from our campus in Manchester City Centre, and we will also accept applications from anyone who wishes to work from our Leeds hub or remotely. We are working remotely during COVID, and deliver our courses remotely on a permanent basis.
- One half day off per week to help you manage your life admin and self-care
- 28 days holiday
- Competitive pension
- Optional health insurance
Line manager: Ruth Ng, COO of Apprenticeships
How to apply: Please download the application form and email it to [email protected], along with your CV.