Team code-junkies present Switch Book
Switch Book is a mobile app for avid readers to connect and trade books for free.
Switch Book is a mobile app created by a team of book lovers for book lovers to foster a community around reading. SwitchBookers can search, offer books and connect with other members via live chat and exchange pre-loved books for new exciting reads! We were inspired by a recent book swap event and we wanted to make a digital version of it.
Switch Book uses:
- React Native with Expo for a mobile-first application
- FireBase authentication to authenticate users
- FireStore database to store information about users and books
- Gifted chat for live communication between users
- GoogleBooks API for book data
- GitHub for version control
- Trello for Kanban
- React Native with Expo as we wanted to build a mobile-first application. We considered using Flutter but React Native was a natural stepping stone from learning React during the bootcamp.
- FireBase authentication offers a simple authentication functionality with a live FireStore database to store information about users and books. Further, as we had no experience with FireStore, it offered an opportunity to challenge ourselves to use a noSQL database.
- Gifted chat for live communication between users.